There was a great turnout for the Archival Exchange ceremony at the GBHS Museum on Sunday, March 17th, when the GB First Congregational Church presented the Society with a study chair and a flip glass used by Reverend Samuel Hopkins (the town’s first minister) for safekeeping. Flip glasses were used in colonial times to heat mixed drinks made from egg and a variety of liquors.
Reverend Hopkins founded the Church in December, 1743 and served as its first minister until 1768. He’s often referred to as one of the top six most important theologians in history.
The Society’s president, Barbara A. Syer, was Mistress of Ceremonies at the event, while Church Moderator Ray Murray presented the two items to Robert Krol, GBHS Executive Director. Both artifacts will be on display at the Museum at 817 South Main Street (Route 7), which is open year-round from 10am to 2pm every Saturday and Sunday. Admission is free, but donations are gratefully accepted. For more information, call 413-591-8702 or email email@example.com.
Photo of the Archival Exchange Ceremony on the home page courtesy of GBHS Archivist Gary Leveille.